
Bangalore:
Firemen evacuated more than 150 people from Carlton Towers in Bangalore after dousing a fire that broke out on Tuesday afternoon.
Sixteen fire tenders were pressed into service, BG Chengappa, Fire Chief Bangalore, said as he and his men wrapped up inside the building after full evacuation.
Chengappa would not commit on the cause of the fire yet and said he would wait for a report from electrical experts. He also said a decision would be taken tomorrow on whether the building would be closed down.
The fire chief said more than the fire, it was the smoke and panic that created most problems in rescue operations.
About 30 people, he said, had been taken to Manipal Hospital.
Sixteen fire tenders were pressed into service, BG Chengappa, Fire Chief Bangalore, said as he and his men wrapped up inside the building after full evacuation.
Chengappa would not commit on the cause of the fire yet and said he would wait for a report from electrical experts. He also said a decision would be taken tomorrow on whether the building would be closed down.
The fire chief said more than the fire, it was the smoke and panic that created most problems in rescue operations.
About 30 people, he said, had been taken to Manipal Hospital.