Advertisement
This Article is From Jun 03, 2015

Delhi Government Rejects Fresh Application for License by Uber, 2 Other Taxi Service Providers

Delhi Government Rejects Fresh Application for License by Uber, 2 Other Taxi Service Providers
New Delhi: The Delhi government has rejected fresh applications for licenses by cab aggregator Uber and two other taxi service providers Ola and TaxiForSure.

The Delhi government had asked these companies to file an affidavit giving details like number and addresses of the drivers associated with them and how they plan to do background checks. These companies failed to submit this affidavit, hence their request has been rejected, the Delhi government said.

The government also said that these companies are currently operating illegally in the national capital but they can't do anything, only Centre's IT department can block their applications. The Delhi government has urged the Centre to block the services of these companies.

Earlier this week, a woman had accused a driver contracted with Uber of attempting to molest her after she hailed his cab to go to Gurgaon from Delhi. The driver, identified as Vinod, was arrested on Tuesday.

The woman, a 21-year-old professional dancer, alleged, "When we reached my destination, he handed over two bags and when I asked for the third, he said he wanted to shake hands with me and said 'nice to meet you ma'am'... I thought he is a good man and so I casually shook hands with him. He then kissed my hand. When I tried to pull back my hand, he held it tightly and forcibly tried to kiss me."

On Sunday, the woman's brother posted a picture of Uber's response to their complaint on Facebook and urged the company to take swift action. Uber said it had suspended the driver and launched an internal investigation.

On Monday night, the police registered a case against 40-year-old Vinod, a Delhi resident, for sexual harassment and physical contact and advances involving unwelcome and explicit sexual overtures.

Uber was banned in New Delhi in December after a woman passenger accused one of its drivers of rape. The company resumed its services in January after applying for a radio taxi licence.
 

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: