Advertisement
This Article is From Oct 10, 2012

Sonam has rejected many film offers: Anil Kapoor

Sonam has rejected many film offers: Anil Kapoor
The 52-year-old actor said Sonam is not the kind of actress who looks for quantity and has rejected many big projects in her quest for quality.
New Delhi: Sonam Kapoor has done only seven films in the five years that she has spent so far in Bollywood but her father Anil Kapoor says he is proud of his daughter's choice of projects.

The 52-year-old actor said Sonam is not the kind of actress who looks for quantity and has rejected many bigprojects in her quest for quality.

"Sonam always says that she doesn't want to be a decorative element in a film. She wants a substantial role andto get that, she has rejected many film offers.

"Being a father I am proud of this attitude of hers. I know in the long run it will help her evolve as a good actress and will make her base strong," Anil told PTI.

The Slumdog Millionaire star, who is the brand ambassador for NGO Plan India, was in the capital to announce the first ever International Day for the Girl Child, to be celebrated tomorrow.

"Being an actor and having spent almost four decades in showbiz, it's my responsibility to associate myself with causes which I feel strongly for. My life is ruled by three women - my two daughters and wife. Women are superior to men in every field and I feel they should be worshipped. I always had more female friends thanmale ones," he said.

The day will be celebrated by illuminating four monuments in Delhi and Hyderabad in pink.

Having begun his career in 1979 with Umesh Mehra's Hamare Tumhare, Anil has been a part of many female-oriented films like Lamhe and Beta.

"When I got success after doing some larger than life characters in the 80s', I chose chose to do films which arefemale dominated. I did 'Mr India' where I had an invisible role and Sridevi got a lot of credit for the film.

"After that I did Beta, which a lot of critics bad-mouthed about and said the film should be rather called Beti. When director Indra Kumar approached me with the script he initially said that he would completely change the scenes if I didn't like them. But I didn't let him make any changes and Madhuri took a stand in the film," he said.

Anil also said he is happy with the current trend of successful female-oriented films in the industry, such asKahaani, The Dirty Picture and English Vinglish.

"Things are changing in the industry. New breed of actresses are doing better films. They all are opting forpromising roles," he said.

Anil, who has bought the TV rights of American TV series 24, said the pre-production of the show has started.

"In November, the casting of the show will start and hopefully if everything goes all right than we will startshooting from the early next year," he added.

Entertainment I Read Latest News on NDTV Entertainment. Click NDTV Entertainment For The Latest In, bollywood , regional, hollywood, tv, web series, photos, videos and More.

Follow us: