Advertisement
This Article is From Oct 26, 2013

26/11 terror attacks: India slams Pakistan over evidence claim

26/11 terror attacks: India slams Pakistan over evidence claim
New Delhi: India has lashed out at Pakistan for its claims that New Delhi has not handed it the evidence of the country's involvement in the 26/11 terror attacks.

The evidence is already with Islamabad, said the Foreign Ministry, in response to the Pakistan Foreign Office's statement that Pakistan requires more evidence in the Mumbai terror attacks case.

"The entire planning of the dastardly Mumbai terrorist attack was hatched in Pakistan, the training of the terrorists who launched that attack was undertaken in Pakistan, the financing of the conspiracy was in Pakistan. It, therefore, follows that 99% of the evidence will be available in Pakistan," India's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said.

Pakistan had made the controversial claim soon after reports said the 2008 attacks were discussed between Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and US president Barack Obama during their talks in Washington earlier this week.

In that meeting, however, Mr Obama had backing India's concerns over the slow pace of progress in the 26/11 case in Pakistan, asking Mr Sharif why the trial of the attackers has not started.

"On our part, we have fully cooperated with the Pakistan Judicial Commission which visited India in September 2013 and all information that they wanted was handed over to the Pakistani High Commission in New Delhi on October 14 and 15. It now devolves on Pakistani authorities to ensure that justice is done in the Mumbai attack case in accordance with their own assurances," Mr Akbaruddin said. 

Pakistan-based Jamaat-ud-Dawa, led by its founder Hafiz Saeed and seen as a front for Laskhar-e-Taiba, is blamed for the three-day carnage in Mumbai in 2008 that killed 166 people.

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: