
New Delhi:
In a petition filed in the Supreme Court on Thursday on the auction for 2G licences, the Department of Telecom (DoT) sought clarity on whether the court suggests procedures along the lines of the 3G auction. In such a case, 2G licence auctions could have to wait until 2013 as the process will take at least 400 days.
Operations of those players whose licenses were cancelled will cease to exist in four months unless an extension is given. This will impact over 63 million subscribers, 40 million of which are Uninor customers.
However, there is an option for subscribers to switch to other networks because of mobile number portability facility.
The Department of Telecom, through its Clarification Application, is also seeking an explanation on the court's February 2 decision to cancel 122 telecom licences. The government also plans to file another petition today seeking review of its order on the appropriateness of a policy it followed for the allotment of 2G licences in 2008.
Early in February, the top court had cancelled 122 licences held by various telecom operators on the grounds that the process to grant licences - which had been formulated by then telecom minister A Raja, now in jail - was flawed and had caused significant loss to the national exchequer.
At least two telecom operators - Ideal Cellular and Videocon - have earlier filed clarification petitions before the court asking if the order is applicable to them. On Wednesday, Tata Teleservices filed a petition asking the court to review its order cancelling its licences in three circles.
On Wednesday, Telecom Secretary R. Chandrashekhar said it could take at least 400 days to complete an auction of second-generation spectrum. However, he ruled out challenging the top court's decision. "By the end of this week, we expect to be able to take the key decisions... all the legal options that are on the table at this point," he said.
Operations of those players whose licenses were cancelled will cease to exist in four months unless an extension is given. This will impact over 63 million subscribers, 40 million of which are Uninor customers.
However, there is an option for subscribers to switch to other networks because of mobile number portability facility.
The Department of Telecom, through its Clarification Application, is also seeking an explanation on the court's February 2 decision to cancel 122 telecom licences. The government also plans to file another petition today seeking review of its order on the appropriateness of a policy it followed for the allotment of 2G licences in 2008.
Early in February, the top court had cancelled 122 licences held by various telecom operators on the grounds that the process to grant licences - which had been formulated by then telecom minister A Raja, now in jail - was flawed and had caused significant loss to the national exchequer.
At least two telecom operators - Ideal Cellular and Videocon - have earlier filed clarification petitions before the court asking if the order is applicable to them. On Wednesday, Tata Teleservices filed a petition asking the court to review its order cancelling its licences in three circles.
On Wednesday, Telecom Secretary R. Chandrashekhar said it could take at least 400 days to complete an auction of second-generation spectrum. However, he ruled out challenging the top court's decision. "By the end of this week, we expect to be able to take the key decisions... all the legal options that are on the table at this point," he said.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world