Advertisement
This Article is From Jan 26, 2012

Age row: Supreme Court likely to hear Army Chief's plea on Feb 3

Age row: Supreme Court likely to hear Army Chief's plea on Feb 3
New Delhi: The Supreme Court is likely to hear Army chief, General VK Singh's plea, who is battling the government over his age.

Last week, the court had dismissed the Public Interest Litigation (PIL) that was filed in support of the Army chief. The PIL was filed by an association of ex-army officers.

General Singh took the government to court last week - the first serving military chief to do so - in the hope of establishing that he is correct in claiming that he was born in 1951, not 1950. Documents with the Army reflect both dates.

In a petition filed in the Supreme Court last week, he has asked for an explanation of why his claim that he was born in 1951 and not 1950 has been rejected by the Ministry of Defence.

The government says that documents that list the date of birth as 1950 trump the others. It also says that many promotions granted to General Singh used 1950 to establish his seniority. Going by 1950 as the year of birth means the General has to retire at the end of May; accepting 1951 as his birth date would qualify him for another year in office, though he has said in his petition that it is the government's prerogative to determine his tenure.

The Army Chief had met with Minister of State for Defence Pallam Raju who had publicly criticised him for setting an "unhealthy precedent" by taking his dispute to court. Defence Minister AK Antony had said he is "sorry and sad" about the government's dispute with the army chief about how old he really is.

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: