Advertisement
This Article is From Jul 24, 2020

Congress Demands Probe Into Alleged Irregularities In Haryana Land Deeds

He said the ML Khattar-led government should spell out the reason for temporarily stopping property registrations in the state.

Congress Demands Probe Into Alleged Irregularities In Haryana Land Deeds
Mr Surjewala said the state government halted the registration process in a hurry (File)
Chandigarh:

Senior Congress leader Randeep Singh Surjewala on Thursday demanded a probe by a sitting high court judge into alleged irregularities in the registration of land transfer deeds in the state during the lockdown.

He said the ML Khattar-led government should spell out the reason for temporarily stopping property registrations in the state.

The Haryana government has temporarily stopped the registration of land transfer deeds in the state to weed out various malpractices in the government's key revenue generation process.

The registration of transfer deeds of various categories of land has been stopped for varying periods between July 22 and August 15, an official release said on Wednesday.

The official release quoted Financial Commissioner (Revenue) Vijai Vardhan as saying "the state government has given serious consideration to the complaints of malpractices that exist in the current mechanism for registration of deeds for the transfer of land. Therefore, it has been decided to temporarily halt the registration of transfer deeds under the said (Registration) Act".

Mr Surjewala said the state government halted the registration process in a hurry after various complaints of malpractices were made.

"There are several complaints of illegalities in registry process during the lockdown, especially in Gurgaon, Sonipat and Faridabad," the Congress's chief spokesperson alleged.

He claimed that in the last six years, there had been numerous scams in Haryana, but no proper investigation was conducted.

"As we know what will be the fate of these two recent scams -- liquor scam and registry scam -- we therefore, want that these two should be probed by a sitting judge of the high court," Mr Surjewala, a former Haryana minister, told reporters during a video conference.

He accused Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar of maintaining conspicuous silence on the alleged registry scam.

"When the Khattar government itself is admitting that there were complaints of malpractices and if it knew that illegal colonies were being cut, illegalities were taking place in registry and conveyance deeds, then why it did not expose the culprits by putting them before the public," he asked.

"There is a long list of scams in the six years of the Khattar government from paddy purchase scam, Aravali land use scam, mining scam, roadways kilometre scheme scam, HSSC recruitment scam, SC scholarship scheme scam, power meter scam, liquor scam to the recent registry scam," he alleged.

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: