
New Delhi:
Fresh non-bailable warrants were issued against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray today by a Delhi court as he failed to appear before it to respond to two complaints that accused him of making hate speeches against North Indians, particularly Bihar natives, in 2008. (Non-bailable warrant for hate speech: Can the courts rein in Raj Thackeray? Vote Here)
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Manish Yaduvanshi ordered the issuance of non-bailable warrants, returnable by November 17, against Mr Thackeray as he failed to appear before the court in response to summons issued on August 31 and sought exemption from personal appearance.
The court noted that non-bailable warrants were first issued against the MNS chief by courts in Jamshedpur and Muzaffarpur on December 16, 2008 and November 11, 2009 respectively. Following the issuance of the warrants, Mr Thackeray had pleaded the Supreme Court that he cannot appear before the courts due to a threat to his life. Last year, the Supreme Court transferred the cases against him to Delhi's Tis Hazari court.
The magistrate today said that Mr Thackeray's request for grant of exemption cannot be sustained as "instead of applying for recall of NBWs (issued by Bihar and Jharkhand courts) and physically appearing and seeking bail, the accused has sought exemption." "Let fresh NBWs be issued against the accused," he added.
The warrants were issued in connection with two complaints, filed by Sudhir Kumar and Sudhir Kumar Ojha, both natives of Bihar, against Mr Thackeray for his alleged remarks against North Indians. In 2008, the MNS chief had allegedly termed 'Chhath pooja', a Hindu festival celebrated especially in Bihar, a "drama" and "show of numerical strength".
The magistrate, however, allowed Mr Thackeray's application for exemption in another case pertaining to an alleged attack by MNS supporters on North Indian students. The case, initiated by an advocate Murad Ali, was also transferred by the Supreme Court to Delhi from a court in Bettiah.
The three complaints are among the seven cases transferred by the Supreme Court to Delhi in November 2011. Of the seven cases, five were registered in Jharkhand and two in Bihar by different individuals.
Mr Thackeray had sought exemption from personal appearance in all the cases saying there was a threat to his life. In the court in Delhi today, his counsel sought exemption saying he could not come "due Ganesh Utsav and security reasons."
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Manish Yaduvanshi ordered the issuance of non-bailable warrants, returnable by November 17, against Mr Thackeray as he failed to appear before the court in response to summons issued on August 31 and sought exemption from personal appearance.
The court noted that non-bailable warrants were first issued against the MNS chief by courts in Jamshedpur and Muzaffarpur on December 16, 2008 and November 11, 2009 respectively. Following the issuance of the warrants, Mr Thackeray had pleaded the Supreme Court that he cannot appear before the courts due to a threat to his life. Last year, the Supreme Court transferred the cases against him to Delhi's Tis Hazari court.
The magistrate today said that Mr Thackeray's request for grant of exemption cannot be sustained as "instead of applying for recall of NBWs (issued by Bihar and Jharkhand courts) and physically appearing and seeking bail, the accused has sought exemption." "Let fresh NBWs be issued against the accused," he added.
The warrants were issued in connection with two complaints, filed by Sudhir Kumar and Sudhir Kumar Ojha, both natives of Bihar, against Mr Thackeray for his alleged remarks against North Indians. In 2008, the MNS chief had allegedly termed 'Chhath pooja', a Hindu festival celebrated especially in Bihar, a "drama" and "show of numerical strength".
The magistrate, however, allowed Mr Thackeray's application for exemption in another case pertaining to an alleged attack by MNS supporters on North Indian students. The case, initiated by an advocate Murad Ali, was also transferred by the Supreme Court to Delhi from a court in Bettiah.
The three complaints are among the seven cases transferred by the Supreme Court to Delhi in November 2011. Of the seven cases, five were registered in Jharkhand and two in Bihar by different individuals.
Mr Thackeray had sought exemption from personal appearance in all the cases saying there was a threat to his life. In the court in Delhi today, his counsel sought exemption saying he could not come "due Ganesh Utsav and security reasons."
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world