Advertisement
This Article is From Aug 24, 2014

Delhi Police Wants to Cancel 16,000 Driving Licenses

Delhi Police Wants to Cancel 16,000 Driving Licenses
A 30-year-old man ran over 13 people sleeping on the divider of a road in New Delhi on August 17, 2014
New Delhi: Delhi Police has written to the transport department asking for revocation of about 16,000 driving licenses after a spate of accidents in the past weeks.

Most of the licenses, which are of both private and commercial vehicles belong to repeat offenders, Special Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Muktesh Chander said.

 "Till August this year alone, there had been 25 lakh prosecutions for traffic offenders in a city that has 85 lakh vehicles which means the number could easily go up to 50 lakh by the end of the year," Mr Chander said.

Last week, a speeding Hyundai Accent Car hit rickshaw pullers on a pavement, injuring 6 people.

Police said that last night alone it had issued a total of 827 challans police including 257 for drunken driving.

Of the total 20,400 drivers have been prosecuted for drunken driving from January 1 to August 15 this year, 302 are repeat offenders, according to the data compiled by the Delhi Traffic Police.

The Sunder Committee Report 2007 recommended the increase in penalties for drunk driving and over speeding. It also recommended cancellation of licenses in case of second offences

In India, 6 percent of road crashes are due to drunk driving and 44 percent are due to over-speeding.

Globally, drunk driving and over speeding are considered two key 'risk factors' by the WHO in contributing to road crash fatalities.

 

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: