Advertisement
This Article is From Aug 25, 2014

Hinting He Won't Contest Election, Raj Thackeray Blames 'Genes'

Hinting He Won't Contest Election, Raj Thackeray Blames 'Genes'
File Photo: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) Chief Raj Thackeray
Mumbai: He was the first among the Thackerays to declare that he would contest an election. So much so that he was even aspiring and readying to become Maharashtra's Chief Minister.

But less than two months after Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray made grand announcements that surprised everyone, it seems he has now developed cold feet and is all set to make a major u-turn.

Speaking to the media in Nagpur, Mr Thackeray first blamed his "genes", and then bizarrely claimed he was undecided as the entire state was his constituency and contesting only from one place would mean injustice to the others.

"This problem is in our genes. We have never fought any election. And if I decide to contest from Mumbai, then why not from Pune or Vidarbha? Won't it be injustice to other parts of the state? Whole of Maharashtra is my constituency. So I am yet undecided," he said.

This is in contrast to his statement just after the Lok Sabha election results were announced when Raj Thackeray had said he was willing to take greater responsibility by running for the Chief Minister's post.

"People have a lot of love and expectations from our party. If the mandate is for MNS, I will not hesitate to lead it," the MNS chief had said.

The MNS chief would have become the first member of the Thackeray family to contest an election. Neither Shiv Sena patriarch late Balasaheb Thackeray nor his son and current Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray have ever contested an election.

What is unclear though, is why Raj Thackeray has turned indecisive. Especially as MNS fared miserably in the national election, failing to win a single seat in Maharashtra. Many of its candidates even lost deposits in the "Modi wave".

The BJP-Shiv Sena combine, on the other hand, made an emphatic comeback in Maharashtra, winning 42 of the 48 seats. Raj Thackeray had hoped his unexpected announcement would rejuvenate party workers whose morale was low after the rout.

Raj Thackeray broke away from the Sena in 2005 to form his own party. Since then, Uddhav Thackeray and he have been fierce political opponents.

Shiv Sainiks have also been openly demanding that Uddhav Thackeray must contest. But with Raj Thackeray seemingly backing off, will Uddhav finally make up his mind?