Advertisement
This Article is From Jun 16, 2016

Ishrat Case: Unfortunate Steps Taken Under Chidambaram, Says Kiren Rijiju

Ishrat Case: Unfortunate Steps Taken Under Chidambaram, Says Kiren Rijiju
Union Minister Kiren Rijiju said some of the important documents in the Ishrat Jahan case are still untraceable. (PTI file photo)
New Delhi: Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju today said that 'unfortunate steps' were taken by the previous UPA government in the Ishrat Jahan case during former home minister P Chidambaram's tenure.

"The intention was clear as to why a hardcore terrorist was declared innocent in an affidavit. It is clearly perceptible here. Unfortunate steps were taken by the UPA government, particularly during Chidambaram's time. We will see what is to be done next," Mr Rijiju said.

"We have already got the report (on missing files) submitted by one-man inquiry committee (Additional Secretary BK Prasad). We have seen the report, some of the important documents are still untraceable," he added.

Earlier on Thursday, Mr Chidambaram accused the Narendra Modi-led NDA government of creating a "fake controversy" around the affidavits in the Ishrat Jahan case.

In a statement, Mr Chidambaram quoted a report from The Indian Express that said a Home Ministry official probing the missing documents in the Ishrat Jahan case tried to tutor another official in the probe.

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: