Advertisement
This Article is From Oct 29, 2013

Patna blasts: man arrested after first blast was mastermind, say police

Patna blasts: man arrested after first blast was mastermind, say police
Tehseen Akhtar, alleged Indian Mujahideen operator, said to have mentored the Patna bombers
Patna: The Bihar police's first information report or FIR on the serial blasts that targeted Narendra Modi's rally on Sunday says the mastermind was Imtiaz Ansari, the man who was arrested from the Patna railway station, the site of the first blast.

Ansari is one of the six men named in the FIR that also names his mentor, a 23-year-old computer-savvy master of disguises named Tehseen Akhtar. Their motive, say the police, was to cause panic and trigger a stampede that could cause many deaths.

"They wanted to strike terror in the hearts of people," the FIR says.

The police say Ansari could be part of a newly formed module of the terror group Indian Mujahideen in Ranchi, set up by Tehseen Akhtar. Most of the conspirators are from Ranchi, they allege, and the explosives were also assembled in that city.

Akhtar, said to be a top Indian Mujahideen operative active in Bihar and Jharkhand who has been on the radar of investigators in connection with other attacks, was in Patna on Sunday, police sources have told NDTV. They allege that Akhtar set up three IM groups for the Patna blasts - one attacked the Railway station, where the first blast took place. The other two groups are suspected to have struck at the Gandhi Maidan venue of the BJP rally.

There were six blasts in and around the park and more bombs have been recovered by the police since then. Six people died and more than 80 people were injured.

Among those critically injured is one of the men named in the FIR, Ainul alias Tarique. He is in hospital. A second suspect called Imtiaz alias Kalimuddin Ansari was arrested at Patna Station while running away shortly after the blast.

Akhtar allegedly incited the men with accounts of alleged 'atrocities' against Muslims.

A resident of Samastipur in Bihar, Akhtar carries a reward of Rs. 10 lakh. He is wanted in connection with blasts in Varanasi, the 2011 serial blasts in Mumbai and the attack in Dilsukhnagar in Hyderabad earlier this year.

According to the National Investigation Agency, Akhtar is known to use multiple fake identities.

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: