
New Delhi:
A reputed school in Pune was closed down on Tuesday for a week following an alarming rise in the number of its students testing positive for H1N1 virus, which now stands at 13.
Ten students of the English medium school, which had earlier shut down one division of class eight, were already admitted to an isolation ward of Civic Naidu Hospital and the test results of more suspected cases were awaited, hospital officials said.
The total number of confirmed swine flu cases in the city has now risen to 24.
According to medical officer of Pune Municipal Corporation R R Pardesi, the school authorities were advised by the State Health Department to close all pre-primary,
Primary and higher secondary sections after the infection, which had been confined to class eight division till Monday, when it spread to class five with a boy testing positive for the virus.
"There is a possibility of the infection spreading among many primary school students through close physical contact when they travel in a cluster in rickshaws," he said.
The swine flu cases of eight students came to light last week following which preventive measures were initiated by the school and the health authorities.
Ten students of the English medium school, which had earlier shut down one division of class eight, were already admitted to an isolation ward of Civic Naidu Hospital and the test results of more suspected cases were awaited, hospital officials said.
The total number of confirmed swine flu cases in the city has now risen to 24.
According to medical officer of Pune Municipal Corporation R R Pardesi, the school authorities were advised by the State Health Department to close all pre-primary,
Primary and higher secondary sections after the infection, which had been confined to class eight division till Monday, when it spread to class five with a boy testing positive for the virus.
"There is a possibility of the infection spreading among many primary school students through close physical contact when they travel in a cluster in rickshaws," he said.
The swine flu cases of eight students came to light last week following which preventive measures were initiated by the school and the health authorities.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world