The temperature is rising in the Capital, and unfortunately for Delhiites, so are the power cuts. It's a full house in Vikram Singh's residence. He is all set to get married on Sunday, but is not sweating out of nervousness. There have been regular power cuts in this neighbourhood in south Delhi for at least three times in the past three days, lasting at least six hours each time.
"During the ring ceremony, as soon as I was about to put the ring on her, the light went off," says Vikram.
"Our relatives are not being able to stay at our house...it is too hot for them to be here," says Nirmal Kaur.
It's not just the south, outages have been plaguing people across the city. And the problem is not getting solved any time soon. The reason being a transformer in one of the major substations is damaged.
Not a surprise, that Delhi can't take the load, especially since demand for electricity has touched an all time high at 4136 MW.
The city only produces 1300 MW. Another 2000 comes from central agencies. But Delhi's power authorities are expecting the maximum power demand to touch 4300 MW this year.
For that it has to rely on bilateral ties with the agencies like Tehri and Damodar Valley Corporation. It faces a hitch there as well as DVC, one of the main suppliers, is only providing 20% of its expected supply.
The highest power demand last year was 4032 MW. That bar has already been crossed this year. Now the priority for the state government is to get that extra 1000 MW of electricity to meet the expected demand. Otherwise, Delhi may see a lot more power cuts this summer.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world