Kolhapur: Soldiers carry the mortal remains of Maratha Light Infantry army soldier Kundalik Mane during his cremation ceremony. (PTI)
Islamabad: Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif tried Thursday to ease tensions with India by urging both sides to work swiftly to shore up a 10-year ceasefire threatened by recent attacks.
In a statement released by his office, Mr Sharif expressed his sadness over the loss of life and said it was "imperative" for India and Pakistan to take "effective steps to ensure and restore" the truce.
He made the remarks shortly after Defence Minister AK Antony for the first time directly accused Pakistan's army of involvement in an ambush that killed five Indian soldiers on Monday in Kashmir.
Mr Antony said specialist Pakistani troops had been involved in the attack and hinted at stronger military action.
But Mr Sharif, who was elected in May and who backs rapprochement with India, said he was looking forward to meeting his Indian counterpart on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in September. Sources in New Delhi say that for now, the government will make no commitment about that meeting. "It is not business as usual," said an officer about the status of bilateral relations.
He said existing military channels could be more "optimally utilised" to prevent the situation from escalating further.
Pakistan denied any part in Monday's incident. But India has lodged an official protest with Islamabad over what is one of the worst losses of life for Indian troops since the 2003 truce.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world