New Delhi:
The nation may be on the verge of a full scale war against the Naxals, but there are divided views on how far to go.
In order to protects the troops fighting the Naxals, and to stop attacks like the one two days ago, it's now clear that the Home Ministry wants to use aircraft, helicopter gunships and unmanned planes to cover for troops. To prevent large scale loss of life it plans to use more transport aircrafts for the mobility of troops against the Naxals. (Read: 76 security men killed by Naxals in Chhattisgarh)
Also, there are plans for more helicopters for troop insertion in remote areas where they are fighting Maoists and deployment of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) for surveillance, say sources.
But the Defence Ministry has a different view and don't want aircraft to be used to attack the Maoists. The key dispute seems to be over the use of airpower to provide cover to troops fighting in remote areas.
Sources say the Home Ministry wants another look at its old proposal, which asked for a mandate to use air power if needed - a demand turned down at the highest levels of government.
The Defence Ministry remains opposed about using air power; they will only give logistical support.
Sources also say that the jawans have second rate equipment when it comes to fighting Naxals. There were some tactical error in operations, and standard operating procedures were not followed due to which the Maoists could choose time and place of attack, they say.
While the Moaists used Light Machine Guns (LMGs), pressure and Molotov bombs, by contrast, the CRPF jawans were short of vital weapons and equipment and had no intelligence on Naxal presence.
Only 12 of the 82 jawans were armed with AK-47s, the sources say, adding that the company did not have mine-detecting equipment.
Also, there was just one mine protected vehicle when there should be at least three. (Read: Dantewada massacre - what went wrong)
The Home Ministry has, meanwhile, formed a panel to look into lapses that allowed a carnage of such proportion. A Director-General-level former police officer will look into lapses. (Read: Chidambaram announces deadline for Dantewada probe)
The government sources say there is a leadership problem in the paramilitary and that standard procedures need to be followed religiously. Home Minister P Chidambaram explained that India's capacity to produce anti-mine vehicles is very limited.
But despite the differences, both the Defence and the Home Ministry agree that there must be a step up against the Maoists and a ramp up in fores is expected very shortly.
PTI adds: Earlier on Thursday, Home Minister P Chidambaram acknowledged that "something went wrong" in the attack and announced the inquiry into the incident.
"We have taken a decision to institute an inquiry into what went wrong," Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters to a volley of questions on Tuesday's attack in the jungles of Dantewada district in Chhattisgarh.
Noting that there would be a time-frame for the inquiry, he said, "I maintain what I said yesterday that something went wrong. We have to find that out."
Chidambaram was briefing reporters after a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security, but refused to divulge what was discussed there.
Asked whether the Maoist attack figured in the meeting of the Union Cabinet held earlier in the day, he merely said "no".
Chidambaram described as incorrect reports about pressure bombs being used in the attack and also that the state police did not know about the CRPF operation for area domination.
He said 76 security personnel, including a driver of a mine-protected vehicle and a head constable of the state police, were killed in the landmine blast. (Read: Survivor speaks)
Asked about the source of weapons used by the ultras, Chidambaram said the extremists had taken away all arms of the CRPF personnel after they were killed in the attack.
"They buy arms from across the border. There are arms bazars across the border. They bring them clandestinely into the country," he said, citing India's open and porous borders with Nepal, Myanmar and Bangladesh. (Read and watch: Molotov cocktails used in ambush, says top cop)
"Where do the Northeast insurgents get their arms from? Arms are looted from security forces, procured from across the border, country-made weapons are acquired".
To questions on the sources of funds, he said they loot banks and extort money from mining companies in the areas where they operate.
Asked about the use of airpower, Chidambaram refused to elaborate on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's comments that Government had not taken any decision to use airpower to quell extremist violence.
"My view is that if necessary, we can revisit it. We have to reflect on it," he said, adding "if there is a policy revision, you will be informed".
Asked whether the shortage of mine-protected vehicles (MPVs) would affect the anti-Naxal operations, the Minister said "that is a decision the operational commanders have to take. In some places, they may review (the operations), in others they may go ahead and intensify."
"We will provide paramilitary forces to the state governments to assist them to carry out anti-Naxal operations, regain control so that they can restore the developmental process. (Read and watch: Jawans fight Naxals in pathetic conditions)
"So, therefore, whether the operations will continue or intensify, these decisions have to be taken by the state government and the operational commanders," he said.
Chidambaram said a large number of MPVs have been ordered by the paramilitary forces, including 280 by the CRPF. This was due to the "extremely limited capacity" of the Indian public and private sectors to produce them.
He said an MPV was blown up in the Tuesday's landmine explosion by the Naxals as it was "designed to take a blast of 15-20 kg. But if you have a larger charge, then it will be damaged." The driver of this MPV was killed.
In order to protects the troops fighting the Naxals, and to stop attacks like the one two days ago, it's now clear that the Home Ministry wants to use aircraft, helicopter gunships and unmanned planes to cover for troops. To prevent large scale loss of life it plans to use more transport aircrafts for the mobility of troops against the Naxals. (Read: 76 security men killed by Naxals in Chhattisgarh)
Also, there are plans for more helicopters for troop insertion in remote areas where they are fighting Maoists and deployment of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) for surveillance, say sources.
But the Defence Ministry has a different view and don't want aircraft to be used to attack the Maoists. The key dispute seems to be over the use of airpower to provide cover to troops fighting in remote areas.
Sources say the Home Ministry wants another look at its old proposal, which asked for a mandate to use air power if needed - a demand turned down at the highest levels of government.
The Defence Ministry remains opposed about using air power; they will only give logistical support.
Sources also say that the jawans have second rate equipment when it comes to fighting Naxals. There were some tactical error in operations, and standard operating procedures were not followed due to which the Maoists could choose time and place of attack, they say.
While the Moaists used Light Machine Guns (LMGs), pressure and Molotov bombs, by contrast, the CRPF jawans were short of vital weapons and equipment and had no intelligence on Naxal presence.
Only 12 of the 82 jawans were armed with AK-47s, the sources say, adding that the company did not have mine-detecting equipment.
Also, there was just one mine protected vehicle when there should be at least three. (Read: Dantewada massacre - what went wrong)
The Home Ministry has, meanwhile, formed a panel to look into lapses that allowed a carnage of such proportion. A Director-General-level former police officer will look into lapses. (Read: Chidambaram announces deadline for Dantewada probe)
The government sources say there is a leadership problem in the paramilitary and that standard procedures need to be followed religiously. Home Minister P Chidambaram explained that India's capacity to produce anti-mine vehicles is very limited.
But despite the differences, both the Defence and the Home Ministry agree that there must be a step up against the Maoists and a ramp up in fores is expected very shortly.
PTI adds: Earlier on Thursday, Home Minister P Chidambaram acknowledged that "something went wrong" in the attack and announced the inquiry into the incident.
"We have taken a decision to institute an inquiry into what went wrong," Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters to a volley of questions on Tuesday's attack in the jungles of Dantewada district in Chhattisgarh.
Noting that there would be a time-frame for the inquiry, he said, "I maintain what I said yesterday that something went wrong. We have to find that out."
Chidambaram was briefing reporters after a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security, but refused to divulge what was discussed there.
Asked whether the Maoist attack figured in the meeting of the Union Cabinet held earlier in the day, he merely said "no".
Chidambaram described as incorrect reports about pressure bombs being used in the attack and also that the state police did not know about the CRPF operation for area domination.
He said 76 security personnel, including a driver of a mine-protected vehicle and a head constable of the state police, were killed in the landmine blast. (Read: Survivor speaks)
Asked about the source of weapons used by the ultras, Chidambaram said the extremists had taken away all arms of the CRPF personnel after they were killed in the attack.
"They buy arms from across the border. There are arms bazars across the border. They bring them clandestinely into the country," he said, citing India's open and porous borders with Nepal, Myanmar and Bangladesh. (Read and watch: Molotov cocktails used in ambush, says top cop)
"Where do the Northeast insurgents get their arms from? Arms are looted from security forces, procured from across the border, country-made weapons are acquired".
To questions on the sources of funds, he said they loot banks and extort money from mining companies in the areas where they operate.
Asked about the use of airpower, Chidambaram refused to elaborate on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's comments that Government had not taken any decision to use airpower to quell extremist violence.
"My view is that if necessary, we can revisit it. We have to reflect on it," he said, adding "if there is a policy revision, you will be informed".
Asked whether the shortage of mine-protected vehicles (MPVs) would affect the anti-Naxal operations, the Minister said "that is a decision the operational commanders have to take. In some places, they may review (the operations), in others they may go ahead and intensify."
"We will provide paramilitary forces to the state governments to assist them to carry out anti-Naxal operations, regain control so that they can restore the developmental process. (Read and watch: Jawans fight Naxals in pathetic conditions)
"So, therefore, whether the operations will continue or intensify, these decisions have to be taken by the state government and the operational commanders," he said.
Chidambaram said a large number of MPVs have been ordered by the paramilitary forces, including 280 by the CRPF. This was due to the "extremely limited capacity" of the Indian public and private sectors to produce them.
He said an MPV was blown up in the Tuesday's landmine explosion by the Naxals as it was "designed to take a blast of 15-20 kg. But if you have a larger charge, then it will be damaged." The driver of this MPV was killed.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world