
Hyderabad:
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Thursday asked his Cabinet colleagues from Telangana region to prevail upon the Joint Action Committee and get the 'Telangana March' planned for September 30 put off to a later date.
The Chief Minister discussed the issue with some of his Cabinet colleagues from the region this evening and wanted them to see that the March is postponed since it coincides with Ganesh (idol) immersion and the Convention on Biological Diversity.
"I will possibly make an appeal in the Assembly on Friday. You too make an appeal to the organisers," Mr Reddy reportedly told the ministers.
He asserted that the march could not be permitted in view of the Ganesh immersion as well as the Convention on Biodiversity.
The statehood seekers have called for the Telangana March in Hyderabad on September 30 to press for their demand to create a separate state.
The city police have already denied permission for the march but they are apprehensive that the Telangana protagonists may defy the prohibitory orders like they did during the 'Million March' in March last year.
The Million March saw large-scale vandalism, including destruction of the statues of Telugu icons on Tank Bund here.
Police apprehend similar trouble during the proposed Telangana March and are leaving nothing to chance.
The Ganesh immersion process in the twin cities is slated to begin on September 29 and continue on 30th as well while International Convention on Biodiversity will begin on October 1. Thousands of delegates from over 190 countries are expected to attend the 19-day convention.
The government fears that the Telangana March would throw the security arrangements out of gear.
"We are not against the conduct of the march but we want it to be postponed till October 20," the Chief Minister told the Telangana ministers.
The Chief Minister discussed the issue with some of his Cabinet colleagues from the region this evening and wanted them to see that the March is postponed since it coincides with Ganesh (idol) immersion and the Convention on Biological Diversity.
"I will possibly make an appeal in the Assembly on Friday. You too make an appeal to the organisers," Mr Reddy reportedly told the ministers.
He asserted that the march could not be permitted in view of the Ganesh immersion as well as the Convention on Biodiversity.
The statehood seekers have called for the Telangana March in Hyderabad on September 30 to press for their demand to create a separate state.
The city police have already denied permission for the march but they are apprehensive that the Telangana protagonists may defy the prohibitory orders like they did during the 'Million March' in March last year.
The Million March saw large-scale vandalism, including destruction of the statues of Telugu icons on Tank Bund here.
Police apprehend similar trouble during the proposed Telangana March and are leaving nothing to chance.
The Ganesh immersion process in the twin cities is slated to begin on September 29 and continue on 30th as well while International Convention on Biodiversity will begin on October 1. Thousands of delegates from over 190 countries are expected to attend the 19-day convention.
The government fears that the Telangana March would throw the security arrangements out of gear.
"We are not against the conduct of the march but we want it to be postponed till October 20," the Chief Minister told the Telangana ministers.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world