Advertisement
This Article is From Aug 05, 2010

Nambiar resign after controversy

New Delhi: Hours after getting elected as joint secretary of Hockey India, Ramesh Nambiar resigned from the post today, following controversy over his eligibility to contest the elections.

Although the results of the much awaited elections are not declared yet, it has been learnt that he was elected unopposed for the post.

Nambiar, an Air India General Manager, was named in the CBI chargesheet in the Ordnance Factory Board scam, in which he along with several others were arrested and spent several weeks in jail.

"I have offered to resign and I have already to sent my letter to interim President Stokes," Nambiar told PTI.

"There is a court case against me. I don't want to get into any controversy, that's why I preferred to resign. Media is coming after me in a case in which I have not been even proved guilty. So I just offered to resign," he added.

Newly elected Secretary General Narinder Batra, who had defended Nambiar earlier in the day, feigned ignorance about Nambiar's resignation.

"How can he resign when we are not authorised to declares result before August 19. The matter is still sub-judice. If he did so it will be a contempt of court," Batra said.

Early in the day, Batra had said, "Mr Nambiar comes from Air India. Air India has selected him to represent the institutional board in the elections.

"India is a democratic country so he has every right to contest. To add to it, he has still not been proved guilty so we have no right to prosecute him."

There were four joint secretary posts on offer -- two each for men and women candidates.

Six candidates contested the elections and men were sure of the posts as there were only two nominations.

The real contest was between four women candidates for two posts.

The elections were held today after being postponed four times earlier, but failed to avoid any controversy.

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: