Advertisement
This Article is From Dec 27, 2009

Pakistan grant visa to Indian boxing team

Karachi: An eight-member Indian contingent, including four pugilists, have been granted visa by Pakistan to participate in the Shaheed Benazir Bhutto International Boxing tournament commencing here from January 1.

Sanjay Singh (51kg), Vikas Malik (60kg), Parnoj Kumar (81kg) and Naresh Singh (91kg) would represent India in the championship, to be participated by boxers from 17 other countries.

The Pakistan Boxing Federation (PBF) officials said on Sunday that the government has issued visa to the full Indian contingent for the competition.

"It is indeed a positive development for fostering sporting ties between the two countries. We are very happy that the Indian government has also allowed its boxers to participate in a tournament being held in memory of a great leader," said Doda Khan Bhutto, President of the PBF.

The Indian contenders would be accompanied by two coaches Shiv Singh and D S Yadav, referee judge Ashok Panwar and team doctor D B Chhetri during the event.

Besides India, other participating countries include China, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Chinese Taipei, Singapore and Cuba.

Indian wrestlers were unsuccessful in getting Pakistani visa for taking part in the India-Pakistan Dangal in Lahore earlier this month and the event was reduced to a free-style national-level affair in the absence of Indian grapplers.

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: