
London:
Romania's Victor Hanescu was fined 15,000 dollars on Saturday after he spat at the Wimbledon crowd and stormed out of a match in chaotic scenes.
Hanescu, 28, was fined for "unsportsmanlike conduct" and "not using best efforts" after the extraordinary match, which saw four men arrested courtside.
Tennis officials launched an investigation into Friday's flare-up, in which Hanescu spat at a section of the crowd, swore at them, appeared to deliberately serve double faults then pulled out of his third round match.
Championships referee Andrew Jarrett said the world number 38 was given two separate fines.
"Following a review conducted by the Championships' referee in association with the Grand Slam supervisors into the incident on Court 18 yesterday evening, the player Victor Hanescu has been fined 7,500 dollars for unsportsmanlike conduct and a further 7,500 dollars for not using best efforts at the conclusion of the match," he said.
"No further comment will be made by the referee or the chair umpire."
Hanescu has the right to appeal within 10 days to the Grand Slam Administrator.
He will receive his Wimbledon prize money with the fine deducted. Hanescu was to have received 31,250 pounds (47,100 dollars) for reaching the third round.
Hanescu, the 31st seed, was playing Germany's Daniel Brands on Court 18, the same 782-capacity show court where John Isner and Nicolas Mahut on Thursday finished the longest tennis match ever.
The Romanian number one won the first two sets 7-6 (9/7), 7-6 (7/3), before losing the next two 7-6 (9/7) and 6-3. The Romanian was 2-0 down and serving when the incident flared.
His altercation with the crowd may have been provoked by apparent heckling from spectators.
However, a Wimbledon spokesman said it was not thought that Hanescu's spitting and the arrests were directly related, with those apprehended being in a different part of the court.
"Someone has said something to him in the fifth set," the spokesman told AFP.
"He's taken against it. He moves in their direction and spits in their direction. He then goes back to carry on serving, then swears in their direction.
"At that stage the umpire gives him a code violation for unsportsmanlike behaviour."
Hanescu appeared to deliberately foot-fault and double-fault, losing the game to go 3-0 down. He then withdrew, officially due to a hamstring injury.
Hanescu was struggling with problem during the latter part of the match and received on-court treatment.
He offered his hand to umpire Kim Craven, but no handshake took place as Craven discussed what was happening with Hanescu.
The Romanian, who is not playing in the doubles competitions, left the championships shortly afterwards.
Police confirmed officers had been called the Championships and four men - three aged 30 and one 29 - were arrested for "behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress".
They were bailed until August 16.
Hanescu, 28, was fined for "unsportsmanlike conduct" and "not using best efforts" after the extraordinary match, which saw four men arrested courtside.
Tennis officials launched an investigation into Friday's flare-up, in which Hanescu spat at a section of the crowd, swore at them, appeared to deliberately serve double faults then pulled out of his third round match.
Championships referee Andrew Jarrett said the world number 38 was given two separate fines.
"Following a review conducted by the Championships' referee in association with the Grand Slam supervisors into the incident on Court 18 yesterday evening, the player Victor Hanescu has been fined 7,500 dollars for unsportsmanlike conduct and a further 7,500 dollars for not using best efforts at the conclusion of the match," he said.
"No further comment will be made by the referee or the chair umpire."
Hanescu has the right to appeal within 10 days to the Grand Slam Administrator.
He will receive his Wimbledon prize money with the fine deducted. Hanescu was to have received 31,250 pounds (47,100 dollars) for reaching the third round.
Hanescu, the 31st seed, was playing Germany's Daniel Brands on Court 18, the same 782-capacity show court where John Isner and Nicolas Mahut on Thursday finished the longest tennis match ever.
The Romanian number one won the first two sets 7-6 (9/7), 7-6 (7/3), before losing the next two 7-6 (9/7) and 6-3. The Romanian was 2-0 down and serving when the incident flared.
His altercation with the crowd may have been provoked by apparent heckling from spectators.
However, a Wimbledon spokesman said it was not thought that Hanescu's spitting and the arrests were directly related, with those apprehended being in a different part of the court.
"Someone has said something to him in the fifth set," the spokesman told AFP.
"He's taken against it. He moves in their direction and spits in their direction. He then goes back to carry on serving, then swears in their direction.
"At that stage the umpire gives him a code violation for unsportsmanlike behaviour."
Hanescu appeared to deliberately foot-fault and double-fault, losing the game to go 3-0 down. He then withdrew, officially due to a hamstring injury.
Hanescu was struggling with problem during the latter part of the match and received on-court treatment.
He offered his hand to umpire Kim Craven, but no handshake took place as Craven discussed what was happening with Hanescu.
The Romanian, who is not playing in the doubles competitions, left the championships shortly afterwards.
Police confirmed officers had been called the Championships and four men - three aged 30 and one 29 - were arrested for "behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress".
They were bailed until August 16.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world