Advertisement
This Article is From Jun 29, 2011

7 charged in videotaped slaying of Pakistani youth

7 charged in videotaped slaying of Pakistani youth
Karachi: A Pakistani prosecutor says an anti-terrorism court has indicted six paramilitary Rangers and a civilian on charges related to the videotaped fatal shooting of an unarmed young man.

Mohammad Khan Buriro says all seven on Wednesday pleaded not guilty to the murder and terrorism charges.

The case is a rare example of legal action against the powerful security establishment in Pakistan, which operates largely outside civilian law.

The killing of Sarfraz Shah earlier this month was caught on video and broadcast repeatedly on TV, horrifying the country.

Buriro says the judge has set a hearing for Thursday. He says the charges carry the death penalty.

Defense lawyer Mohammad Ramzan Syed says his clients will prove their innocence.

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: