Advertisement
This Article is From Aug 28, 2011

8 dead as typhoon slams northern Philippines

8 dead as typhoon slams northern Philippines
Philippines: Slow-moving Typhoon Nanmadol remained dangerous today despite weakening as it struck the tip of the mountainous northern Philippines, leaving at least eight people dead and scuttling a visit by a US Navy battleship group, officials said.

Taiwan issued sea and land warnings and planned to evacuate about 3,700 people in its eastern and southern regions as it braced for the typhoon. Troops and rescue equipment have been deployed in advance for any contingency, Taiwan's Defence Ministry said.

With its enormous cloud band, the typhoon drenched northern provinces with rains for days before pummeling them with fierce winds, setting off landslides and floods and knocking down walls that left at least eight people dead and six more missing, said Benito Ramos, who heads the Office of Civil Defence.

Strong winds knocked down a concrete wall, which hit a small eatery in the capital's suburban Quezon City today, killing a man and injuring two others in the latest casualties of the typhoon, police said.

In the northern mountain resort city of Baguio, a garbage dump's concrete wall collapsed and buried three shanties under tons of garbage Saturday, killing two children. Their grandmother remained missing, Ramos said.

Five others perished in landslides or drowned, including a fisherman, whose body was found floating Saturday off eastern Catanduanes province after he went missing late last week.

A decision by many villagers to flee to safety before the typhoon struck and vigilance helped reduced the number of casualties, Ramos said.

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us: