
File photo of Barack Obama.
Washington:
US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle will travel to South Africa next week to pay respects to the late Nelson Mandela, the White House said on Friday.
Press Secretary Jay Carney said they would "participate in memorial events" for the iconic leader who died Thursday at age 95.
Earlier on Friday, South African President Jacob Zuma said a national ceremony in Mandela's memory would be held December 10 in the Soweto stadium.
The anti-apartheid fighter will be buried on December 15 at his home village of Qunu, Zuma said.
South Africa declared a period of mourning all next week, which will begin on Sunday with a "national day of prayer and reflection".
Press Secretary Jay Carney said they would "participate in memorial events" for the iconic leader who died Thursday at age 95.
Earlier on Friday, South African President Jacob Zuma said a national ceremony in Mandela's memory would be held December 10 in the Soweto stadium.
The anti-apartheid fighter will be buried on December 15 at his home village of Qunu, Zuma said.
South Africa declared a period of mourning all next week, which will begin on Sunday with a "national day of prayer and reflection".
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world