Cairo:
Hundreds of protesters marched through the streets of Cairo on Monday, in a symbolic funeral procession for an Egyptian journalist who was killed in the violence that erupted last week.
The crowds carried a mock coffin for journalist Ahmed Mohammed Mahmoud, and banners bearing his photograph.
Protesters chanted slogans against Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and called for the punishment of those behind the killing.
Mahmoud's wife Inas Mahmud took part in the procession.
The reporter, 36, died on Friday from his wounds after being shot a week before during clashes.
He was taking photographs of fighting between protesters and security forces from the balcony of his home when he was shot January 28th, state-run newspaper Al-Ahram said on its website.
Mahmoud worked for Al-Taawun, a newspaper put out by the Al-Ahram publishing house. He lived near central Tahrir Square, the focal point of the ongoing protest rallies as well as the latest clashes between large crowds of supporters and opponents of President Hosni Mubarak.
He was the first journalist to be killed in the two weeks of on-going protests.
The United Nations described brazen assaults on reporters that occurred during this week's violence as an attempt to stifle coverage of anti-government protests.
Mubarak supporters assaulted dozens of correspondents with virtual impunity in central Cairo this week with little intervention from nearby military units.
The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said it had documented at least 101 direct attacks on journalists and news facilities this week, and that it was investigating numerous other reports.
The crowds carried a mock coffin for journalist Ahmed Mohammed Mahmoud, and banners bearing his photograph.
Protesters chanted slogans against Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and called for the punishment of those behind the killing.
Mahmoud's wife Inas Mahmud took part in the procession.
The reporter, 36, died on Friday from his wounds after being shot a week before during clashes.
He was taking photographs of fighting between protesters and security forces from the balcony of his home when he was shot January 28th, state-run newspaper Al-Ahram said on its website.
Mahmoud worked for Al-Taawun, a newspaper put out by the Al-Ahram publishing house. He lived near central Tahrir Square, the focal point of the ongoing protest rallies as well as the latest clashes between large crowds of supporters and opponents of President Hosni Mubarak.
He was the first journalist to be killed in the two weeks of on-going protests.
The United Nations described brazen assaults on reporters that occurred during this week's violence as an attempt to stifle coverage of anti-government protests.
Mubarak supporters assaulted dozens of correspondents with virtual impunity in central Cairo this week with little intervention from nearby military units.
The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said it had documented at least 101 direct attacks on journalists and news facilities this week, and that it was investigating numerous other reports.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world