
Tens of thousands of people, including hundreds of Indians, on Sunday joined a 'harmony walk' in Melbourne, aimed at reaffirming Victorian government's support for multiculturalism and to send a strong message of Australia being a safe destination for international students.
The march came as a step taken by Victorian government after a spate of racial attacks against Indian students living in Melbourne and Sydney caught serious media attention.
Indian students' apex body the Federation of Indian Students Association (FISA) that had earlier threatened to boycott the rally asked its members to present in the rally but only as "observers."
"We were there as observers not as participators," FISA spokesperson Gautum Gupta said.
The group had earlier threatened to boycott the rally as the government had decided not to allow Indian students to speak during the 'harmony walk'.
"It is unfortunate that the Government is trying to exclude students from any meaningful discussion. We support multiculturalism, but we do not support politicians trying to divert attention and debate away from the victims, the unsafe streets, the rising crime rate and the failure of the justice system," FISA president Amit Menghani had said.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world