
File photo
London:
The British government on Tuesday overturned a court ruling to publish private letters written by Prince Charles to seven different departments, as making them public would "seriously undermine" his ability to fulfill his duties as future King.
Attorney General Dominic Grieve has blocked the release saying the letters reflected the Prince of Wales "most deeply held personal view and beliefs".
Last month, a three-judge bench had ruled that the correspondence by Prince Charles, 63, should be published. But Mr Grieve said it was an exceptional case where the letters formed part of the prince's "preparations for kingship". Publishing the "frank" views would "seriously undermine" his ability to fulfill his duties as King.
"The ability of the Monarch to engage with the government of the day, whatever its political colour, and maintain political neutrality is a cornerstone of the UK's constitutional framework," Mr Grieve was quoted as saying by BBC.
The Administrative Appeals Chamber said last month that in its view, it was in the public interest "for there to be transparency as to how and when Prince Charles seeks to influence government".
The case arose from a Freedom of Information request submitted by a journalist.
Mr Grieve said the letter-writing was part of Charles' preparation to succeed his mother - Queen Elizabeth II - to the throne. Prince Charles is standing next in line since 1952.
Attorney General Dominic Grieve has blocked the release saying the letters reflected the Prince of Wales "most deeply held personal view and beliefs".
Last month, a three-judge bench had ruled that the correspondence by Prince Charles, 63, should be published. But Mr Grieve said it was an exceptional case where the letters formed part of the prince's "preparations for kingship". Publishing the "frank" views would "seriously undermine" his ability to fulfill his duties as King.
"The ability of the Monarch to engage with the government of the day, whatever its political colour, and maintain political neutrality is a cornerstone of the UK's constitutional framework," Mr Grieve was quoted as saying by BBC.
The Administrative Appeals Chamber said last month that in its view, it was in the public interest "for there to be transparency as to how and when Prince Charles seeks to influence government".
The case arose from a Freedom of Information request submitted by a journalist.
Mr Grieve said the letter-writing was part of Charles' preparation to succeed his mother - Queen Elizabeth II - to the throne. Prince Charles is standing next in line since 1952.
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world